Blog Archive

Monday 25 September 2023

Segovia and it's Roman masterpiece of engineering

 


We left Avila this morning in the direction of the ancient Roman city of Segovia and it's most famous attraction, the Roman Aquaduct which for centuries transported essential water to the town and enabled it to become an important military base for the Roman Empire.

It is a most impressive sight and dominates the town to this day.

The arches reach a maximum height of 95 feet and not a bucket of cement is used in its construction. 

It's all held together over the centuries by precision cutting the large granite stones so they fit precisely without moving.

An incredible achievement, and it was still in use, transporting water until the 19th century.

Remarkably, I'd managed to find suitable parking almost within a stones throw of the aquaduct, so it was a short walk there, and onto the old town.

I doubt I could find parking closer than this ?



It is a lovely town with interesting squares and sights around every corner and beautifully decorated buildings.

Wow !








Beautifully decorated buildings




Nope, no cement here, and you couldn't get a
cigarette paper in the joints
























This is a new one on me, a rubber duck shop


























I loved this visit to Segovia


A bit too crowded for me !



I had planned to spend the night on the town's motorhome aire situated next to the old bullring, but when we got there it was very crowded with vans packed in like sardines.

Not really to my liking.


The old Bullring was worth a look around,
unfortunately it was all closed up



So we set off for another in the rural countryside, a small village set amongst hills called Pedraza, and it is a beautiful little rustic Spanish village with fantastic views over the hills.

This is my view from Ed, there are Eagles and Storks circling over the hills which have kept me entertained for an hour with the binoculars.






We're on a bit of a slope but with views like this I'm not bothered 

I went exploring the village after tea and wow, what a little gem of a village it is.
It's like a film set, if fact there was a film crew doing something and getting in the way of my photography.

Pedraza is a beautiful village, completely unexpected and one of the reasons I love motorhome travel. You just never know what you'll stumble across.









A gate with character
























Pedraza might look like a film set, and there was even a film crew

What a little bar . . . . I'm tempted







I ordered a beer and this came, the nearest piece is plain bread, the other one tasted like eggy bread with potatoes & herbs mixed in and it was a delicious suprise

All enjoyed with this view of the square


My favourite Spanish bar :)








Pedraza, Moon rise over the hills



I'm also loving a side of Spain I've never experienced before.

I can't imagine ever wanting a 'fly n flop' package thing to the Costas ever again.

Travelling this way and being suprised like this is just so much more rewarding.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here