Blog Archive

Wednesday 6 September 2023

Ah, smooth Spanish roads at last !

 


Wednesday 6th September 2023

I'm very pleased to report we found much better roads today.

None of yesterday's bumps and rattles, it was smooth all the way to a small town in the countryside called Villanane in Alava, Basque Country.

We're about 70 minutes south of Bilbao and Santander.

We're on a small campsite with lush greenery all around us, grass on the pitch and shaded by plane trees. Quite a novelty here.

There's a swimming pool, shop, bar and restaurant.
What more could we need for a couple of days ?

What I'm learning about Spain is there is some beautiful countryside, but also miles of flat barren scrub land, scruffy towns, abandoned industry and falling down buildings all of which need to be passed through as quickly as possible.

The other thing missing here are roadside rest areas which are every 20-30 kms in France, but here seem to be very scarce for some reason.

We arrived at the campsite in time for lunch, the only thing we omitted to do was call at a supermarket for fresh milk, so we'll be on UHT by tomorrow as the campsite supermarket don't sell fresh.

We then we spent the afternoon doing some chores, laundry washed and dried, we'll give Ed a thorough vac out and clean and I'll do research to plan our route from here tomorrow.

So not many photos today.

I had a swim in the outdoor pool which was lovely, and I'm feeling much more relaxed now and in a better frame of mind to plan our journey to Portugal.

I think I'll be in there tomorrow as well 😀

I picked up two of these at the supermarket yesterday, 2.11 euro per bottle.
I had a glass with my tea and it was very agreeable.
Not much info on the only label, but 12% and produce Zaragoza region.
No grape variety mentioned.
I'll be looking for more of this :)

Our peaceful shady campsite pitch, perfect for a few days.

The barrier tape is for areas not in use to allow the grass to recover, it's not a crime scene as far as I know !




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here