Blog Archive

Tuesday 20 September 2022

Leaving Lake Iseo


When we left the campsite this morning we drove north east along the lake a little way, then drove up into the hills to the curiously named village of Zone. 

This is why we came. 




These are the Pyrimidi which can be best appreciated by looking at the two nearest to the camera in the shot above, or in these close ups.

They were formed when boulders were overlain on a deep deposit of glacial moraine comprising gravel and finer stones. 

Over time the moraine was washed away but where there was a boulder a pillar formed below it resulting in these curious forms. 

The path from the car park in town descends steeply down and it is a very steep climb back up. 
Wearing boots is recommended, (I wore sandles) and ended up sliding on the lose gravel and sand, resulting in a grazed leg. 

I go through this so you don't have to, lol.

Some more scenes from the village of Zone


I don't think that's a smoking volcano !









Next it was a visit to a petrol station for diesel as we were driving on fumes.

Then I'd selected a small town I liked the look of called Mantua about 40 miles south of lake Garda.

It looked an interesting place, but I had no idea it was as beautiful as it turned out to be. 
There are some stunning buildings and the history of the town goes back to 2000 years BC. (no, not before covid).

As we drove across the bridge over the river Po, it reminded me a lot of Valetta in Malta, with the honey coloured stone, towers and church domes.



It was a real gem of a find we stumbled across. After walking around and admiring the buildings we enjoyed a gelato in a shady covered walkway overlooking the main square.

Here's a bit of internet info I found on the town

Mantua is a city surrounded by 3 artificial lakes in the northern Italian region of Lombardy. It's known for the architectural legacy of the Renaissance Gonzaga rulers, who built the Ducal Palace. This imposing building houses the Bridal Chamber, decorated with Andrea Mantegna frescoes. The Gonzagas also built the Te Palace, known for the Chamber of the Giants, where every surface is painted with mythological scenes.

I'd planned to stay on a motorhome Sosta just across the river, but I ended up driving into town to save walking, and parked close to the old town.

The Sosta charged 24 euro. This seemed a little expensive to me for what it offered,  I presume because of its proximity to the beautiful town.

So, being cheapskates, we drove for 40 minutes down the Po, to a free Sosta in a town called Castelmassa. I say a town, the Sosta is actually on the outskirts, on banks of the Po and is a fantastic scenic location, so I'm very pleased we came here.

We enjoyed a good sunset then hit the hay.

Tomorrows another day to look forward to, and I've got a few ideas for a nice day ......













































This tickled me, I'm sure someone thought it was necessary to
have a pedestrian crossing on a narrow cobbled street ?
About three vehicels a day I think





































Virgilio, Roman poet and impressive statue




Such beautiful buildings in the town, and our parkup on the Po in Castelmassa











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here