Blog Archive

Tuesday 13 September 2022

A change of plans today .......



After spending far too long looking, I came to the conclusion that the advice I'd read about the Cote d' Zure appeared to be correct.

There is parking of course in Cannes and Nice but all the reviews say just don't bother, there are far too many obstacles to make it worthwhile trying in a motorhome.

Lots of height barriers, congested narrow streets, grumpy gendarme, astronomical parking charges and a general feeling they'd rather welcome chavs in Ferrari's than motorhomes.

The best way to see the area in a motorhome is to carry a scooter with you, park on a campsite above the town in the hills and scooter in.

So a change of plans was called for.

I decided to head east into Italy and we've arrived at a little town called Susa.
It's an old Roman town and there is a amphitheater I'm going to investigate this evening.

The town is nothing special really, but it has a few remaining glimpses into it's historical Roman past and it's quite pleasant to have a wander around.

I made a mistake today of setting the sat nav to include toll roads.
We got stung with a tunnel toll ☹️

Generally speaking, Italian toll roads are usually worth paying for as the alternative routes can be pretty appalling on the pothole front. 

But I made the mistake of not spotting this one was a tunnel route so we got there and had no alternative but to cough up.

Nevermind, lesson learned.

It's warm and sunny, we have a tv signal to watch HM's journey from Edinburgh to London and Ed's air conditioning is keeping Sue cool while I have a beer outside, so all is well with the world.

We had pizza for tea, what else could we choose when in Italy ?

I might make a carbonara tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm off the investigate the Roman amphitheater now.

Well I found the amphitheater, it's not on to the scale of the Greek theatre in Taormina Sicily we were fortunate enough to visit a few years ago, but it was worth the effort of climbing the hill to it.

Tomorrow we head further east across northern Italy, to what is reputed to be one of the prettiest villages in Italy.

I've just realised I've missed the Roman Arch of Augustus, just around the corner from the amphitheatre, so thats my mission for tomorrow before we leave Susa


In the meantime, some photos of Susa









A restored Roman fresco

Door of the day










 The Roman Amphitheatre







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here