Blog Archive

Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Day 17 - Chamonix to Lac du Mirande


Wednesday 23 September 


After yesterdays excitement of the cable car up to Mont Blanc, it was a more leisurely day today.


We left just after breakfast and a very quiet night on the Carrefour carpark where I was joined by probably about 8 other motorhomes.


Next to me were a couple from Dublin and it was their second night staying here, they confirmed it was a good place to stay. 


We chatted for quite a while, they're alpine junkies and are heading over to Italy when they leave here and want to spend time in the Dolomites.


I headed south west and a road closure / diversion took me to a little alpine ski village called Crest Voland. It's a pretty little place but very quiet, I suspect they're waiting for the winter snows when the place will come alive.


Crest Voland village


The ski lift waiting for the winter snows



It was interesting to see this timber chalet being built, there's a lot of timber going into that




We had a walk around, took some photos and had some lunch there.


Next stop was just a roadside layby for a five minute stop to take some photos of the scenery.



River Isère


A memorial to local French resistance members who gave their lives for the liberty of the French nation




My parking place for tonight is a little village called Mirande just north of Allevard, and next a beautiful Lac de la Mirande.


A lovely lake with a fountain, a circular walk and great scenery.


Lac de la Mirande









It'll be a great place to spend the night. There's a little village so I'll see what that has to offer after tea.

The answer to that is, well, not a lot of interest in the village.

These odd coloured tomatoes are a common sight in French supermarkets, so I thought I'd try one, I'll let you know tomorrow.

This one is called Cotelle Noire

I think Louis's got his eye on it if I don't like it !




I had a (motor) home made beef stroganoff with wild rice for tea and it was delicious even if I say so myself, and in spite of forgetting to add the mustard and using chicken stock instead of beef stock

With a bonus of another portion in the freezer for the weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here