Saturday 15 October 2022

Auberive and Troyes

 Auberive and Troyes


Yesterday's rain continued onto the night on and off and it was very grey and damp on our early morning doggie walk.

So what to do today ?

There are lots of interesting little towns in France worth a wander around but in the rain they're rather less appealing.
So it was a bit of a dilemma, what to do today.
Eventually I decided we'd head for Troyes which I'd read about and it sounded an interesting medieval town.

Our journey took us across the Parc National de Forests and into the Champagne region, through some beautiful countryside with fantastic autumn colours.
I wasn't temped by the Champagne by the way !

We losely followed the path of the river Seine north, and watched it develop from a small stream, into quite a proper river by the time it gets to Troyes.
I wonder if my Pooh stick thrown in at the source is making good progress ?
Actually, I think it got stuck on some grass, so it's probably still there at the source, lol.

Troyes is actually a remarkable place.
I don't think I've ever seen so many colourful Tudor style timber frame buildings, most of which look genuine given their higgeldy piggeldy leaning appearance.
Somehow they must have escaped the bombs and destruction of two world wars.
There was a WWll battle in Troyes where Germans were forced out of the town, but it looks like it escaped bombing.

Here are some photos of Troys, they all probably look a bit grey and dull in the rain which was forever threatening to soak us while walking around.
Thankfully it didn't, but definitely a rather wet day.







Louis checking out what goes on in a Cat Cafe










We left Troyes and moved 30 km north to a place called La Chene for tonight.

On the motorhome aire this evening, I got talking to an English couple in a Land Rover who've driven around the world in it, in the northern hemisphere.
They're presently on their way to Africa to tour there !
For two years +
That takes some serious adventurous spirit and guts to do. 

Wow, I'm full of admiration for them.

There are still lots of petrol stations out of fuel, but I managed to top up again at the third attempt, so I should be ok now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here