Wednesday 7th October
We woke to a morning of drizzle and mist this morning in Montpeyroux, so I didn't bother waiting for the du dunjon tower in the village to open at 1030.
There wouldn't have been any views to see.
So we set off north again on non toll roads.
It was a bit busy getting around Clermont Ferrand, but fortunately most of the traffic seemed to be queuing to go south so I missed the worst of the traffic queues.
A grocery shop, a diesel stop and a lunch stop later and after 95 miles we arrived at the small village of Ainay le Vieil on the river Cher, and their lovely motorhome aire.
I'm the only one here tonight, so far, but it's a lovely aire. Very peaceful, lovely views, fresh water and waste water dump, five minutes to the village and all for 5 euro a night.
The Mairie is supposed to come and collect payment but nobody has been yet and there's no honesty box so I may be getting a freebie 🤣
We had a walk into the village this afternoon, unfortunately the Chateau was closed.
But the church was open and looked really old and authentic inside with rough stonework. All the online information I could find was in French though so I couldn't find out much about it.
There's a Roman amphitheatre nearby, just a few miles north, so we're going to visit there in the morning before continuing our journey north.
Update : The lady from the Mairie did call for her 5 euro eventually but I've still got the place to myself











No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments here