Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Day 30 - Peyre Millau to Montpeyroux



Tuesday 6th October 


We set off from our parkup at the village of Peyre near Millau this morning after a quick walk and some breakfast.


It was straight onto the nearby A75 motorway heading north and it's a great road to drive on, smooth and quite, definitely no ruts and potholes.

Thank you French road builders.


It's quite a hilly region though the Massif Central, there were lots of long hill climbs and decents but it was a very enjoyable drive through scenic countryside.


We stopped for a coffee break partway to stretch our legs and it was at a motorway services with a difference.


It had a great view of the cast iron railway bridge built by Gustave Eiffel in the 1880’s


It's a whole century after Abraham Darby built the first cast Iron bridge in Coalbrookdale, Shropshire but it does bear some resembelance to the original.


But it's still an impressive sight.








This trip seems to be turning into an accidental bridge fest, but that's completely unintentional 😂


We drove north for 132 miles to the little hillside village of Montpeyroux, just south of Clermont Ferrand.

It's another very picturesque village, so we walked around and took some photos of this lovely place before returning to Ed for a couple of hours sitting outside in the sunshine.


I'd hoped to find a bar or cafe in the village but absolutely nothing was open.

The village has a tower called du donjon but unfortunately that's closed today as well.

It opens tomorrow at 1030, so depending on what the weather is doing I may go back to climb the tower as I expect it has fabulous views from the top.

















The church was a bit plain inside






The du donjon, shut today

I've been living in hope of finding a pizza van next to one of my parkups, but so far I've been disappointed.


So I got some pizza dough from the supermarket and toppings from the fridge.

 

I must say it was delicious and very easy. 




I just need something to resolve the floppyness of the dough after it's had the toppings added and before cooking. 


It nearly ended in disaster  🤣 ie on the floor

I think a plate instead of a chopping board may solve that problem ?


All I have to do now is clean up a layer of flour dust over everything 😂


Louis enjoyed a slice, and I've still got another slice to reheat for lunch my tomorrow


This turned up on the Aire this afternoon

I'm not certain but I think there's a petting farm next door, a bit like Glebe Farm Astbury I think Gaots, horses, donkeys, chickens and Lamas





The du donjon from the motorhome aire


More miles in a north direction tomorrow . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here