Saturday 3 October
This morning we left L’isle sur la Sourge and headed around Avignon, across the Rhône and towards the famous Roman bridge and aquaduct over the Gardon river at Pont du Gard, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
It's a truly spectacular sight.
I came here in 2022, actually on 6th October so almost four years to the day.
This time I thought I might fly the drone over to get some amazing video.
No such luck, the airspace is controlled by French CAA and no drone flights allowed without jumping over French bureaucrat hurdles, and I wasn't about to do that.
So it was more static photos.
![]() |
| 1830's grafitti |
![]() |
| Just look at that joint, hand worked with just a hammer and chisel 2000 years ago and you can still barely get a cigarette paper in the joint - amazing What's more is there are thousands of them ! |
Here's a link to my previous visit.
Pont du Gard.
Link to Oct 6 2022 visit
It's always special to see such archeological wonders and I never tire of seeing these Roman masterpieces of engineering.
I've been lucky enough to see a few on my motorhome travels, the Pont du Gard, the Aquaduct at Segovia in Spain and the Amphitheatre at Pula Croatia spring to mind.
As well as lots of random Roman bridges I've pulled over to photograph like Pont Julien the other day.
Next it was onto Uzès
A small french city pronounced y-zez
It's in the Gard department of the Occitanie region.
The town lies at the source of the Alzon river, at Fontaine d'Eure, from where the Roman aqueduct was built in the first century AD, to supply water to the city of Nîmes, 50 kilometres (31 miles) away. The most famous stretch of the aqueduct is the Pont du Gard, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which carried fresh water over splendid arches across the Gardon river.
I nearly didn't come to Uzès as my Garmin sat nav couldn't find a way to the vineyard where they allow motorhome parking.
It kept trying to send me up one way and barriered streets, those things that pop up out of the ground 🤬
So I ended up about 2 miles outside town before I could pull over to give her a good talking to.
I was about to give up and look for somewhwere else until I decided to see if Google maps could get me there.
Low and behold, it took me straight there, without any dramas.
It's a lovely old historical town with lots of interesting buildings so it was definitely worth the effort to get here.
The vineyard I'm parked on is free, they just ask you to visit the shop selling lots of local produce and their own wine, so I'm happy to do that.
![]() |
| A lot of the streets and squares have large Plane trees giving welcome shade and giving a cool environment |






































No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments here