Blog Archive

Sunday 2 June 2019

Thieu to Hornbach





We were both very tired after yesterday's early start and slept like logs after an early night.

Prior to sleep, I had a walk up to the boat lift and it was interesting to see these huge cargo barges (as in my picture yesterday) being lifted up to the higher level.
There were tourist boats doing their thing with lots of whooping from happy tourists following a tour of the building and the machinery.

In the morning I was chatting with the only other Brits on the Aire, a couple from Norfolk.
They were telling how nice Luxembourg city centre is and with a motorhome Aire right by the centre in a park. This gave me ideas and thoughts for the return journey perhaps ? But much too early to think of that.

Our planned route took us through the country of Luxembourg and the home of cheap fuel.
Plenty of others had the same idea and there was quite a queue at the pumps.
It cost 1.13 euro per litre which is £1. The current price in UK at the moment being about £1.30 so it is a decent saving.

We arrived at our destination for today, a small town called Hornbach, just east of Saarbruken.

The Aire is very pleasant situated on the outskirts of town which I intend to explore after we had some tea.

It's very warm here today, my phone telling me 32' so I'm hoping it'll be cooler later for the walk. Otherwise I might have to buy a large ice-cream ! or even a beer.
We have full services here tonight, electric hook up, water and a place to dump waste water, all for a bargain 7 euro.

The walk around the town revealed it to be a sleepy place with not much going on but it was quite pleasant. But no ice-cream or beer was purchased mainly because I forgot my money.

We have TV signal again tonight

Tomorrow we head off across the Black Forest region of Germany


Queuing for diesel in Luxembourg

Stellplatz in Hornbach Germany

Stellplatz in Hornbach Germany

Stellplatz childrens play area

Hornbach town




Hornbach town

Hornbach town

Hornbach town sculpture ? you decide, courting carrots maybe ?

Our route across Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany



2 comments:

  1. Great to start getting your trip updates again. We stopped at the aire in Luxembourg City for a night and can highly recommend a look around the city. Best wishes Martin and Dawn Coutts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martin and Dawn, I think I`ll try and plot a route to call in the Aire at Luxembourg if possible, thanks for your recommendation :0) Chris

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here