Thursday 9 May 2024

Porthor, Whistling Sands

 


Thursday 9th May 2024

I moved on this morning just a few miles down to Porthor, or Whistling Sands as it's commonly known.

I think the wind is supposed to create a whistling sound as it blows across the beach.

I've never heard it so I can't vouch for that.

It's a really beautiful beach with soft golden sand in a cresent shaped bay.

I was going to get the kayak out but this morning was a little cool in the overcast skies and by the time the sun came out at lunchtime a wind had got up making the sea rather choppy.

So I elected for just walking the Llyn coastal path today and I'm hoping to get the kayak out tomorrow.


This rocky headland is called Dinas Bach

Louis likes it here !













Llyn coastal path bench, I could sit here all day !



Horses excercising on the beach



This place has some amazing skies and cloud formations

This was May last year




And this is today




I've got my cloud book with me that Lauren kindly bought me for my birthday, and it tells me it's called Stratocumulus Stratiformis.




The patches of blue sky visible between the Stratocumulus cloudlets show where pockets of cold air are begining to sink.

The book is a bit technical and I can only read a few pages at a time before my eyes glaze over and my mind wanders off somewhere else, lol, but it is interesting to find how the formations are created.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here