Saturday 31 August 2024

Esch sur Sure and Vianden

 

Saturday 31st August 2024


This morning saw us head into Luxembourg, we've been here before but only to make use of the garages who's diesel is always considerably cheaper than in surrounding countries.

I'm not sure why, I think prices may be controlled by the government.
Anyway it's around 1.40 euro a litre or 1.18 in pounds, compared to about 1.42 at home. 
So quite a saving on a tank full.

I thought on this trip it would be great to see some of the scenery as I've read it's quite impressive.
First stop for lunch was Esch sur Sure, Sure being the river.

The river loops around the small village and I found parking right by the river.
We had a wander along the river walk and to the part of the village that wasn't at the top of the hill, lol.

Next it was Vianden on the river Our.
This is a larger town and very pretty with an impressive castle on top of the hill.

Unfortunately the sun was behind the castle so difficult to photograph in the afternoon, but I'll try again in the morning.

We're on a small automated campsite by the river, no personnel, just a machine.
I booked in, paid barrier went up and down before I'd moved, grrr

Nobody to speak to and no help line.

Fortunately a Dutchman arrived behind me and he had a phone number and a man came to lift the barrier.

Anyway it's a nice site with great showers and a short walk into town along the river.

The town of Vianden seems to have a strong connection to Victor Hugo, the author of Les Miserables and Hunch Back of Notre Dame.
Lots of buildings carry his name.
He was exiled in Guernsey after he fell out with Napoleon, but maybe he spent some time here aswell, I'll try and find out.

Esch sur Sure











Vianden







Vianden Castle
 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here