Friday 19 April 2024

Penrhyn Castle and Beaumaris Anglesey

 


Friday 19 April 2024

It was grey and cloudy with intermittent drizzle this morning so I didn't rush anywhere from our overnight parking at the town I can't pronounce, Llanrwst.

Louis had a walk along the river then we chilled after breakfast waiting for the skies to clear, which the weather forecast said was a certainty to happen around 1100 lol, oh yeah ???

Well it did clear but not until about 1200.

By that time we'd had a drive through Betws y Coed. 

I didn't stop as it was still drizzling, and parking always looks a bit limited and expensive for some reason.

So I carried on to Llyn Ogwen in the shadow of Snowdon where we had a cuppa and waited again for it to dry up.

It did eventually and we had a walk along to the National Trust office.

I was here in May last year when the weather was glorious and we walked up to Llyn Idwal which is a fantastic walk and amazing scenery. 



But not for today, too cold and windy for me and Louis.

After lunch we set off for Penrhyn Castle near Bangor, another National Trust site but one I've not been to before.

It's a rather austere grey granite castle building which on a grey wet day can look a little depressing. 

But thankfully, by the time we arrived the skies had cleared and we walked around the grounds in glorious sunshine, enjoying the spring flowers especially the bluebells.

The walled garden was especially attractive with lots of azaleas and rhododendrons now flowering.

Next stop afer a visit to Tesco was Anglesey, and our destination was the coastal town of Beaumaris overlooking the Menai Straits.

We're on the carpark right next to the castle where they allow overnight parking for the very reasonable price of 6 pounds.

The castle is rather less impressive than I remember, I must be confusing it with somewhere else I think. I didn't go in, just walked around the outside but not much of it appears to remain, it seems only the ground floor has been saved.

The town is quite vibrant and even has a ferris wheel which I don't remember seeing before, overlooking the Menai Straits.

We walked around the town which didn't take too long, and then sat on a bench for half an hour watching the world go by.

The weather forecast for the weekend looks great so I'll try and find somewhere on Anglesey to spend it.


Penrhyn Castle in the sunshine














Another arch walk before the flowers bloom, I think this one is wisteria




They like Gunera here



Not just dragons in Wales






Beaumaris Castle

Menai Straits







Tonights parkup next to Beaumaris Castle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here