Tuesday 14 February 2023

Lake district trip - day four

 

Saturday 11th February

The parkup in the Lakeside carpark in Keswick was pretty good until about 8pm when the place filled with rowdy youngsters in loud cars gathering for who knows what purpose.

Then just as I was thinking about whether to stay or move somewhere else, they dispersed as quickly as they had gathered.
By 8.40 it was all quiet again. Phew

Speaking to one of the guys in another motorhome, he said they left a pile of litter behind which he cleared up in the morning so locals wouldn't think it was the motorhomers littering the place.

The morning brought another mostly cloudy sky, again with a bit of drizzle in the air.

After a walk along the lake I moved on stopping at Thirlmere for a cuppa and to enjoy the views, such as they were through the mist.

It's surprising how quickly the weather changes though, all of a sudden the clouds will part and the sun lights up the hills and the scenery is spectacular.
So it's important to time things correctly to make the most of these breaks. 

I've yet to master this though. I usually find myself walking in rain.

Next it was onto Coniston for a parkup at a school, John Ruskin School, who open their carpark at weekend and school holidays for a donation to the school fund.
They have a large parking area next to the field and there are about six other motorhomes here for the night. Eight here by morning.

We had a walk around the town and a wander along the path that leads up to The Old Man of Coniston. I didn't go far up as I don't really have the correct gear for winter walking on the fells.

Maybe in summer ?

I'll head home tomorrow having enjoyed a few days away in this wonderful part of the country.
I've had some rain and blustery days which limited the walks we could do but for the time of year it has been better than I'd expected.

John Ruskin School carpark



Coniston town












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here