Tuesday 14 February 2023

Lake district trip - day three

 

Friday 10th February


After enjoying beautiful sunshine yesterday, today dawn broke with more of a damp feeling to it.
It's cloudy, that is very low cloud with all the surrounding peaks shrouded and a hint of drizzle blowing in the air.

After a morning walk along a shortish stretch of Ullswater, we set off for Buttermere

Ullswater

Ullswater - out of focus




I knew it wasn't going to be an easy route to Buttermere as I'd already read about Honister Pass and the cautionary tales advising motorhomes to avoid it, so I decided to follow this advice. 

The longer alternative route also had warning signs of narrow lanes at 6'6" where's I'm 7' ah well, what's the worst that can happen ?

In the event it wasn't that bad and I managed to get there without any scrapes down the sides, lol.

It is indeed a very beautiful little village, set between two very scenic lakes, unfortunately, the drizzle had turned to a horizontal downpour at this point so my plans to walk the circumference of the lake, or more correctly mere, were well and truly thwarted.

After lunch overlooking Crummock Water, I decided to head back towards civilisation in Keswick and I've found a carpark overlooking Derwent Water where overnighting is allowed.

This afternoon I took Louis for a walk around Keswick town center. 
Most of the shops seem to be outdoor wear stores or tourist gift shops, not surprising I suppose. 

It is a nice little place to visit and I've made a note of the best route back to Buttermere, so I'm definitely going to be back in the future to explore when the weather is less likely to result in severe exposure and hypothermia.



Crummock Water Lunch stop











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here