Tuesday 2 July 2019

Orta San Guilio Lake Orta to Cannero Lake Maggorie





Tuesday 2nd July

I`ve added photos for yesterday at Orta San Guilio now I have decent internet. Take a look it`s a lovely town :)

This morning saw a rethink and a change of plans, my brain must have been working overtime last night !

Lake Orta is a beautiful place and one I will definitely return to at some point in the future to explore more of this region.
Sometimes you just feel comfortable in a place, it just seems natural to be there, well that was Orta for me.
Despite the thunder storm cutting short our visit it was still an enjoyable day.

The rain lasted into the night but we awoke to a beautiful sunny morning.

Today we were originally going to take the Simplon Pass into Switzerland, and getting north of the Alps would definately felt like the home leg.
But having given it some thought, I hatched a cunning plan and decided to head to Lake Maggorie and a little town called Cannero, and I'm so glad we did.
With the prospect of a little bit more Italian lake secenery, I just couldn't resist it.

I've booked our channel tunnel return crossing for Wednesday 10th July so calculated we could have two nights here and still have a fairly leisurely drive back to Calais.

Cannero is quite a smart little resort town on the west bank of the lake, quite close to the Swiss border.
We are parked up at Camping Lido Cannero Riviera which is right on the lake with a blue flag beach.

We've had a walk along the waterfront where there is a lovely magnolia tree lined walk with elegant 19th century villas which are now mostly chic hotels.
There is also a very pretty old harbour where amongst the wild life you'd expect to see, there was a turtle sitting on a rock sunbathing !

This afternoon has been spent relaxing on the grassed area in front of the lake and working out our route to Calais and how many nights we can spend here, two nights was the conclusion I came to and the St Gotthard road tunnel will be the route over / through the Alps.

This is the route we used last year and is quite a good route if you manage to avoid the traffic congestion that can build up at times.
I don't want to make it into a panicked dash to Calais, so I'm happy we've given ourselves enough time.

I`ve had a wander around Cannero this evening and it really is a lovely little town with a nice laid back feeling.
There are some waterfalls and the church has the most amazing grotto where it looks like they hold outdoor services.

And of course lovely scenery with the tree covered mountains decending into the lake. A lovely scene.
I`m very happy here !

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Cannero Old Harbour

Cannero Old Harbour resident, non native I suspect

Views around Cannero



These stone chairs were so comfortable I nearly fell asleep !

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero - Grotto at the church



Views around Cannero - waterfalls

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Views around Cannero

Our route to Cannero




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here