Sunday 11 June 2023

A day of downs and ups

Friday 9th June 2023

We set off from Keswick Lakeside carpark and the first stop I'd planned was at the well known Ashness Bridge in the Borrowdale Valley.

It's a quaint stone pack horse bridge and my research led me to believe there was a small car park to turn around in. 

Very picturesque it is too . . . . .





Unfortunately there isn't a car park, and part way up the lane a kind gentleman stopped me and said it is a difficult place to turn.

Now I probably should have reversed back down at this point. but I thought I could see a wider stretch of road higher up, so I carried on a bit further, nope, not much better.

So there was no option, a multi point 360' turn was called for, yikes !

It started well, until my left rear wheel dropped off the road surface down dip.
This lightened the weight on the diagonally opposite right front wheel. So when I tried to pull away it caused wheel spin.

By now there were cars I was blocking, fortunately for me they were very helpful and friendly Americans.

We tried different things, putting stones under the wheels etc but nothing seemed to work.

There was much wheel spinning and clutch slipping, at one point the cab filled with smoke from the clutch, much to my horror.

By this time Sue, fearing for her safety had retreated to stand on Ashness Bridge and watch from there, can't fault the sense of self preservation.

After more discussion, one of the guys had a suggestion . . . . . 

Drop back a little with full right hand lock, then move forward with full left hand lock. This he suggested would lessen the gradient the stuck rear wheel had to climb up.

Wahoo, it worked, I was free at last. probably the worst 30 minutes of my life.

So it was high fives all round for the guys viva USA !!!

I also managed to grab a photo of the bridge, I'd hoped to spend half an hour there but figured I'd better get the hell off that lane.

So next stop was Buttermere, but not before a cup of tea to settle nerves a little.
Then it was onto Buttermere via the Whinlatter Pass. That's the long way round to get there but better that than to try Honister Pass which has a 2 metre width restriction. 

I don't want to get caught out twice in one day !

Buttermere is always a challenge to get to and park even in a car, but I was determined to try.

As expected, the car parks were full by the time we arrived due to our miss-adventure at Ashness Bridge.

The National Trust car park sign mentioned an overflow carpark operated by the farmer, so I set off to find him.

"Oh sorry no the council stopped it" was his reply.

"Wait a minute, are you in that motorhome" why yes, oh that's ok, go through the gate, past the haybales and park in the field.

I'm not sure what difference being in a motorhome made but I wasn't going to question him over it.

£10 a night for the most amazing views in every direction, just us and some Herdwick sheep and lambs.

He is happy for us to stay for two nights and I asked him about returning in future and he said no problem, he'll find me somewhere, either on the field or in the yard on hardstanding if it's wet.

After this mornings events I did nothing this afternoon except admire the views and watch the sunset over High Stile whilst being entertained by an aerobatic display from Swifts zipping around, swooping and diving all around me.

I was so grateful to that farmer, he really made my day by allowing us to stay on his field in such a fantastic place with amazing scenery, I'll forever be grateful.



Ed, relieved to be free from captivity on Ashness Bridge 

Some views of our camping place on Buttermere








Our Herdwick Friends
 


A view with dinner doesn't get much better than this
 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here