Friday 14 August 2020

A heatwave for the weekend : ) and a trip into Wales



Thursday 30th July 2020 & Friday 31st July 2020

Todays departure from home was delayed rather by an unwelcome visitor ........  on the roof at home !

Whilst having my morning cuppa in bed, I became aware of a tree rat (squirrel) on the roof looking in at me as much as to say where's my cuppa then ?
Cheeky bugger.

After shopping I took matters in hand and got my ladders out and my long reach tree loppers.
It soon became clear the problem was next doors Crab Apple tree, the weight of fruit has dragged the branches down, with one almost touching our roof. An open invitation to a squirrel to investigate nesting options.

Fearing being over-run by junior squirrels, I was soon trying to remove the offending branches.
Unfortunately they got the better of my loppers, which folded up and snapped with my first attempt.

Not to be beaten, I resorted to my brand new long reach telescopic electric chain saw. 

I bought it in the Spring to do some pruning but new got around to using it in anger.
Now was my chance.

What a tool, the new blade cut easily through the branch and squirrels shortcut onto my roof was no more.

Eventually I set off. My plan was Anglesey, but I thought I might stop for some lunch in Conwy as I'd found what looked like a decent motorhome parking spot.

It was indeed a nice looking spot but unfortunately fully occupied by in the know locals in cars looking to avoid paying at the pay and display.

The local council have seen fit to provide dedicated motorhome parking in their 
Morfa Bach carparks which is closed to the town, so that's where I ended up.


I spent the afternoon having a wander around the town, much of it familiar from my childhood, especially the smallest house. We spent regular holidays here as children and the house was a source of facination.
Later I want back to the motorhome parking spot on Bengarth Road. 

There was now plenty of room and I picked a great position overlooking Conwy Castle.

It was indeed a peaceful spot, only the passing trains caused any disturbance and they stopped around 11pm.

It was busy today in Conwy, especially down on the quay, but I avoided all contact and resisted the temptations of a long cooling pint or an ice cream.
It seems the young are less concerned about social distancing with large groups mingling in the sunshine. 
They seem to think they are immune to the virus.










































Friday 31st July 

I awoke this morning to fantastic views of Conwy Castle lit brightly by the morning sun.

So it was a quick walkies for Louis, breakfast, then hit the road to travel about 30 miles to Newborough Forest beach on Anglesey.

Its  a real pleasure driving through the Welsh countryside when the sun is shining.

We arrived at Newborough about 0915 and there was already a queue of vehicles waiting to pay at the kiosk.

Its going to be busy here today but with such a huge site I can't see it being too crowded.

And indeed it wasn't.

We had a walk along the beach and a splash through the surf, then back to sit on the sand and watch the world go by.

I'd thought about getting the kayak out, but lazyness set in, anyway the wind got up a bit and my kayak is a beast to paddle in the wind so I dismissed that idea.

Instead we went for a walk through the sand dunes and forest to try and catch a glimpse of a red squirrel. 
No chance, they're much to timid to be seen.

Overnighting isn't allowed at Newborough so I traveled just a short distance to a carpark in the forest called Llyn Parc Mawr.

There's a circular walk around a nature reserve so we did that after tea and it was a very pleasant Summers evening walk.

As the dog walkers and red squirrel hopefuls left I have the park to myself for the night and never heard a thing, very peaceful.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here