Sunday 12 July 2020

Mawwdach Estuary Wales




Saturday 11 July 2020

Some weeks ago, during lockdown, I booked a stay at Nant Gwynnant Campsite in Snowdonia in the hope that they would be open and  that we could travel. 

Both were uncertain for a long time, but thankfully an email arrived confirming they would open and have the necessary Covid secure measures on site.

I've not been to Nant Gwynnant before but it looks fabulous nestling in the shadow of Snowdon. Plus it also has direct access to the lake so I intend to get the kayak out.

I'm booked in from Monday to Friday but with the weather looking so good for the weekend I decided upon a couple of nights wild camping as a warm up.

So, I've come to Fairbourne Point on the Mawddach Estuary. Its  not the first time I've been here but its always great to come back to such a lovely place.


It sits just south of Barmouth on the other side of the estuary with great views up the river and the mountains beyond.

On the way here I called in at Penmaenpool, just a few miles up the river by the little timber toll bridge.

From there I cycled into Dolgallu whilst Louis set the pace trotting in front.

There isn't a great deal I can say about the town, it was very quiet and sleepy for a Saturday with most shops seemingly shut, but I suppose the virus is to blame for that.

Never the less it was a pleasant cycle ride along the Mawwdach Trail.

Moving on, I managed to get a parking spot looking directly over the estuary at Fairbourne Point so fabulous views for the evening.

I just checked the tide times and if the weather is fine I might go for a kayak paddle.





Penmaenpool Toll Bridge 

Penmaenpool Toll Bridge 


Mawwdach Trail views

Mawwdach Trail views

Mawwdach Trail views



Mawwdach Trail views



Mawwdach Trail views

Fairbourne Point views

Fairbourne Point views

Fairbourne Point views

Fairbourne Point views

Barmouth from Fairbourne Point 

Barmouth from Fairbourne Point 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here