Tuesday 19 April 2022

Wall to wall sunshine on the Llyn Peninsula

 Friday 25th March 2022


With fine weather forecast, I couldn't resist the temptation of getting away to the beautiful Llyn Peninsula for a few days, one of my most favourite places.

Lunch stop at Colwyn Bay Porth Eirias visitor centre and a fantastic beach





The beautiful beach at Porth Eirias






Porth Eirias sculpture



Porthdinllaen headland and the lighthouse in the distance



Porthdinllaen bay, I can't believe how warm, calm and still the weather is, especially for March








Porthdinllaen coast, oh my, that water is looking inviting. I can see the kayak coming out if the weather stays like this



Porthdinllaen Whelks, freshly caught and on their way to South Korea !


Porthdinllaen Ty Coch Inn, I was so looking forward to a pint sitting on the beach from the only pub I know of situated directly on a beach. Sadly I only had cash and unbelievably they only take cards. Still a great place to sit and watch the world go by, well, watch the sea birds anyway, not much else happens




Saturday & Sunday 26th / 27th March 2022

Next it was onto Porth Lago

I found this place last year, when Wales opened up following lockdown I came here in mid April and had the most fantastic warm weather. I can't believe that I'm here three weeks earlier in the year and the weather is just a good. It's low 20c no wind or clouds, fantastic. I think I'll be going for a paddle in this beautiful sandy bay.

Somewhere out there is a pod of dolphins off the headland feeding on the incoming tide. I could see them with my binocculars, but they're not easy to photograph


Ah, a gentle paddle in the bay

Louis is soon asleep
I had a paddle out to some rocks called Maen Mellt. The sea was still quite calm, but there was quite a swell around the rocks and there were seals bobbing around. Impossible to photograph though, they were just appearing as a blob then dissapearing under the waves. It was lovely to see them though.
Lots of sea birds about too
 







Time for a Coastal path walk 

This is the next cove around from Porth Lago, called Porth Ferin. It's very similar but lacks the soft golden sand of Lago so is much less popular


Porth Ferin

Porth Lago


A grey seal in the bay at Lago



I really enjoy coming here, it's basic, just a field really but oh so peaceful. Chris the farmer has build a small shower block, fresh water, there are bins and he's talking about putting in electric hookups. But for me it has everything I could wish for, I feel relaxed and at peace whenever I'm here.
There are no shops, bars or other distractions. 
The weather has been fantastic for March and so welcome after a long winter


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here