Sunday 21 April 2019

Lake Vyrnwy




Saturday 20th April

Today we vacated our peaceful parking spot at Fairbourne Point. We shared our spot with a number of fellow motorhomes last night, all here to enjoy the scenery.

Since we are wilding, or parking up with no services, there is a limit to how long we can last without services. Normally we would just book a night on a campsite and get sorted there, but as it's an beautifully warm and sunny Easter bank holiday I'm assuming that all campsites are fully booked up. I've not actually tried to get in anywhere, but Sues not feeling too good so we're heading in the direction of home.

First stop though is to be at Lake Vyrnwy where there are some waterfalls I've read about and I want to visit.

The route TomTom took us was through Llanymawddwy. I must admit to not checking before we left but the route was not really suitable for a motorhome ! Single track, sheer drops, extremely steep. Need I say more. 

But oh so stunning scenery.

I'll try and attach a dashcam video to reveal the full horrors. Needless to say I wasn't very popular, but hayho, what's new ?
Anyway we reached Lake Vyrnwy and Louis and I took a walk up to the waterfalls, it was well worth the effort, not quite Niagara but still worth seeing, with some lovely Welsh scenery on the way up looking at it`s best in the Spring sunshine.

With weather like this, who needs to go abroad ?



















This dashcam video is of our journey to Lake Vyrnwy via Llanmawddwy, along a not entirely suitable mountain road.
It was very scenic but steep with sheer drops to make for a butt clenching journey.
The most challenging bit was when I met cars coming the other way.
I pulled over to allow them past, but the road was very steep and it took plenty of revs to get moving again and I think the clutch lit up a little more than I would have liked.
There was a bit of a burning smell in the cab afterwards but no long term damage done, hopefully.
I should confess to spoting a 2 Tonne limit sign, (we`re 3.8 Tonne) but turning around looked too difficult and I thought it`d only be a warning for a small stone bridge or something, nothing to stress over, ah well, it all ended without harm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here