Sunday 21 April 2019

A short escape to Fairbourne Point



Thursday 18th April

With the promise from the met office of an Easter bank holiday heatwave, when does that ever happen ? I decided to book an extra days annual leave to tag onto the Easter holiday and make a long weekend somewhere.
Discussions were had, I fancied Snowdonia, Sue fancied Cardiff.
It actually looks like a really interesting city to visit for a weekend, lots to do and see but the campsite was full and alternative parking options looked uncertain, particularly as it's a bank holiday weekend. 

Also the prospect of navigating the M5 and M4 made me queezey at the thought of the queue's.
A compromise was decided upon and we (I) settled on a nice parking spot at Fairbourne Point near Barmouth, Wales.
It`s not a campsite, just parking next to the beach and with a ferry into Barmouth.
Best of all it`s free so a cheap get-away, just the sort I like.
The only downside is no services but fortunately we`re self sufficient so it shouldn`t be a problem.
It's on the opposite side of the Mawddach estuary from Barmouth and is a lovely spot with views over the estuary and over to Cadet Idris and Snowdon beyond, and best of all it's completely free !
Nearby is the walking and cycle trail that leads to Dolgallu which has spectacular views. Lauren and I cycled it a couple of years ago and it is stunning, I`d definately recommend it.

Ed was loaded up for his first proper outing of the year and off we set.
We arrived about 1130 and whilst it's warm and sunny, it's also a little hazy with must over the hills limiting the view.
After lunch Louis and I had a lovely long walk along the sandy beach and spent the rest of the day admiring the scenery.

A little ferry boat operates a taxi service across the river to Barmouth, do that's the plan for tomorrow.
I think I could sit here watching the tide go in and out for ever, I never get bored of it !

The weather forecast is excellent for the next few days so I hope it proves to be accurate.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here